Civitan is a non-profit organization committed to leading Arizona in the provision of unmatched, innovative, accessible, and affordable services for children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Our corporate office is based in Phoenix, Arizona and our camp, Camp Civitan, is in Williams, AZ.
We are looking for an Assistant Director to work year-round.
We are also looking for counselors to work directly with our campers on weekends and summers.
Assistant Director Position
In collaboration with the Camp Director, the Assistant Camp Director will work at Civitan’s Corporate Office and at Camp Civitan to fulfill the needs of our camp program. Summers (late May through early August) and several weekends throughout the other months of the year will be dedicated to the day-today operations of summer and weekend programming in Williams, AZ. The remainder of the year will be devoted to preparing for and developing camp programming, staff, and overall camp operations at our corporate offices in Phoenix.
The duties for this position include, but are not limited to:
• Communicating and demonstrating the organization’s mission, goals, and culture.
• Providing excellent customer service to campers, parents, guardians, staff, and others interested
• Assisting with the recruitment of staff, including advertising at career fairs, interviewing,
selecting, and ensuring completion of hiring paperwork requirements.
• Creating, facilitating, and tracking training for staff and others as required.
• Assisting with the design and implementation of camp programs to not only meet the needs and
interests of our camp population, but to also ensure that the delivery is provided in a safe and
• Participating in ongoing professional development and maintaining current knowledge of best
practices in camp management and working with individuals with disabilities.
• Working closely with the Camp Director and Nurse to ensure optimal coordination of camper
assignments and program activities.
• Ensuring compliance with program plans and Camp policies and procedures to hold staff
accountable to camp goals and expectations.
• Helping to ensure that summer staff are adequately trained to address challenging and
escalated camper behavior and assisting with these situations as necessary.
• Helping to oversee the daily operation of the summer camp including food service, program,
and staff supervision.
• Participating in camp activities, planning, and leading those as assigned.
• Providing support and guidance for all personal and professional issues that surface with the
summer and weekend staff.
• Assisting with the review of staff reports and/or procedural changes as necessary.
• Assuming the role of Camp Director in the Director’s absence.
• Assisting with the evaluation of camp programs and the implementation of changes that
improve and grow those programs.
• Collaborating with, and reporting on Camp activities to the executive team, as required.
• Assisting the Camp Director with the development of annual objectives and the work required
by the Camp team to accomplish those objectives.
• Completing special projects and performing additional duties as assigned.
• Must have prior experience as a camp professional, specifically in the administration and
organization of a summer camp programs.
• Must have a desire to lead and mentor staff, volunteers, and campers.
• Must understand that several months of employment are at a resident (overnight) camp and
that work hours will be irregular during that time.
• Must be at least 18 years of age (licensing requirement), or 21 years of age to drive Civitan
• Must be fully ambulatory and able to lift members (a minimum of 50 pounds).
• Must be able to pass a criminal background check and fingerprint clearance.
• Understands the challenges individuals with disabilities face and demonstrates a sensitivity to
the needs of all campers.
• Able to guide and supervise other adults.
• Demonstrates sound problem-solving techniques.
• Enthusiastic, patient, and able to adapt.
• Able to work independently and as a member of a team.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Proficient time and project management skills.
• Highly motivated, a self-starter who can effectively work with minimalsupervision.
• Able to multi-task and meet deadlines.
• Good organization skills and attention to detail.
Why should you consider a job at the Civitan Foundation, Inc.?
Working for Civitan Foundation, Inc. is more than just a job. It is an experience that will change your life,
and the lives of those you serve. If you are looking for fulfilling, meaningful work, and have a passion for
helping individuals with disabilities, we would love to welcome you to our team! We also offer:
• Competitive Pay Rates
• Medical, Vision, Dental, and Life Insurance
• Retirement Benefits- 401(k) with Employer Match of 4%
• Room and Board During Camp Sessions
• Free Training- Article 9, CPR First Aid, OSHA, and more.
• Wellness Programs
• Employee Appreciation Perks
Submit Application or Resume to Jobs@campcivitan.org