The Broadway Experience is an international musical theatre program designed to create and inspire triple threat performers. Students undergo an intense study of dance, voice, and acting, along with a major performance opportunity with current Broadway professionals and incredible master teachers. Students become stronger, versatile and more dynamic performers, preparing themselves for a professional career at the highest level.
NYC 2015 summer intensive: August 10 - 22, 2015
THE BROADWAY EXPERIENCE : WHERE BROADWAY'S FUTURE MEETS BROADWAY'S FINEST
Now accepting electronic applications. A completed application includes online application form, headshot, recorded audition, and an application fee of $25. Please see our website for full details and click on AUDITION and APPLICATION.
Recorded auditions: Please provide a URL link to a video hosting website or a DVD of your recorded audition and include:
- A dance combination or individual exercises showing line, jumps, and turns. You may also submit a performance or routine if it meets these requirements.
- 32 to 64 bars of a musical theatre song of your choice.
Monologues or readings will not be required.
Audition videos should not exceed ten minutes in length and may be recorded using a camera phone or any recording device. DVD's will not be returned unless accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope.
From the advanced beginner to the young professional, TBE creates a synergy between training and the professional world where excellence is expected. Minimum age requirement is 11 years of age. The Pro level is for college age students or young professionals who want to continue their triple threat musical theatre training at the highest level and make valuable connections for the future culminating in a filmed showcase in 1080 HD.
EXPERIENCE THE FOLLOWING...
- Beginning everyday with a technical dance class.
- Master classes in many different Broadway dance styles, covering repertoire from the golden age of musical theater up to present day choreography.
- Dance and Song classes.
- Voice/choral work.
- Song Interpretation class.
- Various acting classes including various techniques.
- Monologue work and scene study.
- Take the first step to actually putting all three mediums together, dance, sing and act, hence learning to become what’s known as a “triple threat.”
- Choreography workshop.
- In-depth musical workshop.
- Lecture demonstrations on aspects of the business, practical and non-practical including wellness/nutrition and injury prevention.
- Meet industry specialists such as choreographers, directors and casting directors.
- Audition study helping one understand the audition process and how to present oneself.
- Experience a real audition, in front of a panel of industry specialists.
- See Broadway show(s)
- Q&A with a Broadway cast following performances.
- A major performance opportunity at the end of week two. (Level One & Two only.)
- A recorded HD showcase. (Pro Level only.)
- Lunch is catered every day.
- Receive your very own TBE T-shirt!
- Discount on drop-in classes at Broadway Dance Center.
The Broadway Experience is associated with Broadway Dance Center; New York City’s ultimate destination for dance.
Featured in Dance Spirit Magazine, Dance Magazine, The Dancing Times UK and NY1 OnStage.
TBE 2014 faculty included Ben Hartley (The Little Mermaid), Mami Tomotani (Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake), Michael Mindlin (Aladdin), Bahiyah Hibah (After Midnight), Kristyn Pope (White Christmas), Enrique Brown (Fiddler on the Roof), Nick Kenkel (Evita), Olga Karmansky (Pippin), Alan Souza (Saturday Night Fever), Carman Lacivita (Cyrano), JT Eagan (Casa Valentina), Steven Malone (Newsies), Dierdre Friel (Leap of Faith), Julian Reeve (Bring It On), Greg Landes (Grinch), Harold Lewter (CLA), Tony Cloer (BRE), & Benton Whitley (Duncan Stewart & Co.)
Special guests have included: Chita Rivera, Bebe Neuwirth, Kristin Chenoweth, Faith Prince, Baayork Lee, Sierra Boggess, Norm Lewis, Karen Ziemba & Jonathan Groff.
"TBE is the only summer musical theater intensive parents and students need to know about."Casey Nicholaw, Director & Choreographer The Drowsy Chaperone, Spamalot, Book of Mormon.
"Inspiration! Ben Hartley and his team have created a unique and special program. I wish I had The Broadway Experience when I was growing up"Kristin Chenoweth, TONY & EMMY award winning actress, Wicked, Promises Promises.
"Ben Hartley and his knowledgeable colleagues transform aspiring musical theatre students into budding skilled performers."Karen Ziemba, TONY award winning actress, Steel Pier, Contact, Chicago, Curtains.
"I fully support & recommend Ben's guidance to every young student that is looking to learn more about performing and about themselves."Norm Lewis, B'way Star, Les Miserables, Dreamgirls, Miss Saigon, The Little Mermaid.
Activities and Features
Performing Arts Dance Drama
Other Activities Ballet Jazz Theater Dance Tap Dance/Song Voice Choral Work Song Interpretation Acting Monologues Scene Study Improv Audition Study Choreography Lecture Demonstrations. A major performance opportunity is offered during the second week of our summer intensive.
Location & Contact
Camp Address The Broadway Experience
150 Joralemon Street #4F Brooklyn NY, 11201 USA
Winter Address The Broadway Experience
150 Joralemon Street #4F Brooklyn, NY, 11201 USA