Camp Alsing is an overnight summer camp in Maine for kids, ages 9-17, with high-functioning autism and other social communication challenges. We help campers expand their boundaries in a traditional camp environment.
At Alsing, we have high expectations of our “Coaches”, and in return, we commit to providing coaches with solid training and the opportunity to have a transformative summer experience that will impact them both personally and professionally.
Being a camp counselor is exhausting and incredibly rewarding. If you love working with children and are ready for an incredible summer experience - please be in touch!
Coaches are mentors and role models for campers, and are also the primary caretaker for their assigned small group of campers. Counselors live in a college dorm setting with campers and co-counselors. Counselors eat meals with the campers, travel to activities with and guide campers throughout the day.
Preferred Training and Experience
- An enthusiasm and excitement to work with amazing kids, required
- Experience working with school-age children with high functioning Autism, or other special needs, preferred
- Summer camp experience preferred
- Outdoor education and other special skills, preferred
- Creating a fun, exciting environment of activities and learning that inspire community, flexibility and growth.
- Participation in a variety of outdoor and indoor activities such as theater games, athletics, board games, swimming and boating.
- Uses training provided by Camp Alsing to help children grow in their social abilities and skills.
- Facilitate the development of a connected, engaged small group
- Manages, with assistance from the other camp leaders, the daily schedule of activities for camp.
- Participation in onsite staff training prior to camp session.
- Other duties, as assigned.
We care about our staff!
At Alsing, we are committed to providing strong training and ongoing support to our staff team. We have a great rate of return from our staff because they love being part of a strong team in the beauty of Maine, contributing their knowledge and expertise, feeling valued, having fun, being trusted by leadership and making friends that last a lifetime.
Room and Board provided, weekly salary/stipend dependent upon position and licensure. Please be in touch to discuss!
While Alsing did not run in 2020, we are excited to open safely and responsibly in 2021. We will comply with all Maine state guidelines. This might mean that staff is not able to travel outside of camp, or will have limited options for travel off site. We are committed to providing staff time off on or off site that provides respite and relaxation - so we will need staff to be flexible, knowing that their experience at camp is crucially important to us.